Jan 2, 2026 • 11:15 AM (GMT+8)

BREAKING NEWS

Misinformation, safety risks hamper measles-rubella vax drive in Central Visayas

Misinformation, safety risks hamper measles-rubella vax drive in Central Visayas - article image
Local

MISINFORMATION on social media, vaccine hesitancy and concerns over additional doses are slowing the measles-rubella vaccination campaign in Central Visayas, while health workers also face safety risks as they try to reach children in communities.

Dr. Faith Curaraton,medical coordinator of the Department of Health-Central Visayas (DOH-7) Regional National Immunization Program, said the slowdown in immunization was not unique to a particular area but was being observed across all local government units (LGUs).

Curaraton said during MyTV Cebu’s Openline News Media Forum on Tuesday, Aug. 18, that the region had targeted 630,214 children for the campaign, but only 12 percent had been vaccinated as of Tuesday, far below the 95 percent target.

Dr. Van Philip Baton, chief of the DOH-7 Local Health Support Division, earlier said the region was struggling to meet its daily vaccination targets.

“So far, the data is struggling in Central Visayas because every day the daily target is not achieved,” Baton said.

Baton said health workers had observed the continued impact of misinformation on social media during regular field meetings, particularly posts raising concerns about vaccine safety and how caregivers should protect their children.

Curaraton said vaccination teams were doing their best to address parents’ concerns and hesitancy through information campaigns conducted both online and on the

ground.

However, she said some vaccinators and community health workers had faced hostile situations while conducting house-to-house and community vaccination activities, putting their safety at risk.

“Maskin kahibaw nami giunsa mo sa parents, gisirad-an mo og pultahan up to the point nga naa toy BHW hapit napaakan og iro pati safety sa amo teams... naa gihulgaan og pusil, gihulgaan og bolo. We do not understand why they are afraid of the vaccines,” she said.

Curaraton’s account highlighted that vaccine hesitancy was not only affecting the campaign’s vaccination numbers but was also creating challenges for teams tasked with delivering the vaccines to communities.

She said health workers continued to engage parents and provide information to help them make informed decisions about vaccination.

Curaraton emphasized that the measles-rubella vaccine has been proven safe and is the same vaccine used in immunization programs worldwide.

She also addressed concerns from some parents about the need for additional doses, saying boosters are given to replenish or strengthen the vaccine’s protective effect.

Curaraton said there is no such thing as an “overdose” of vaccines when they are administered according to recommended immunization schedules.

The measles-rubella supplemental immunization activity (MR-SIA) covers children aged 6 months to 59 months and provides an additional dose to help close immunity gaps and prevent outbreaks.

Baton said the measles-rubella vaccines had undergone regulatory review and safety and effectiveness testing before being administered to children.

He said health authorities would continue addressing concerns raised on social media, including claims questioning vaccine safety.

The campaign’s intensive phase runs from Aug. 10 to around Aug. 20, followed by catch-up or mop-up activities during the remaining days of August to reach children who have not yet received the additional dose.

Baton encouraged LGUs to consider weekend vaccination activities and urged parents to bring their children to vaccination sites when services are available in their communities.

The low regional turnout comes as Cebu City also works to address vaccine hesitancy.

The city government recorded 486 parents who refused to have their children vaccinated during the first week of the campaign.

Cebu City had vaccinated about 9,000 children as of Aug. 15, or around 10 percent of its target of 90,000, according to Kenneth Siasar, chief of staff of Mayor Nestor Archival.

Siasar earlier attributed the refusals to a lack of information and misinformation, prompting the city government to strengthen its information campaign in barangays.

The DOH 7 said its teams would continue reaching out to parents through information activities and vaccination efforts in communities despite the challenges.

Baton said health authorities would continue efforts to reach children who remain eligible for vaccination and encourage parents to rely on scientific evidence when deciding whether to have their children vaccinated.(MyTVCebu)

Share to:
Newsletter