Construction of 4th Cebu-Mactan Bridge to start this year
MANDAUE and Lapu-Lapu are moving closer to adding a fourth bridge across the Mactan Channel as the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) advances plans for the P76.4‑billion coastal highway and bridge project that officials say will help ease persistent traffic congestion in Metro Cebu.
Engineers from DPWH formally presented the proposal to Mandaue City Mayor Thadeo Jovito Ouano on Monday, Feb. 16, telling him the four‑lane, 3.3‑kilometer bridge with a planned coastal road is targeted to start within the year, once required public consultations and approvals are completed.
The project includes funding support from the Japan International Cooperation Agency’s official development assistance program.
Ouano said during a media interview that the DPWH informed the city that Barangay Paknaan will serve as the starting point for construction.
According to the city’s Housing and Urban Development Office, around 196 families — mostly informal settlers and fire victims currently living in Paknaan — will be affected.
He assured that the national government will assist in relocating affected residents and that efforts are underway to keep the relocation sites within Mandaue City.
“Gihisgotan man gud nila nga kung makakita ta og relocation outside na of the city which dili kaayo ko favorable,” Ouano said.
He explained that many residents are already accustomed to living in the city and would prefer relocation within Mandaue, even if in a different barangay.
“Pasabton nga needed for the national project kaning coastal highway together with the fourth bridge," he added.
He also expressed confidence that the proposed infrastructure will help significantly decongest traffic.
“Mao gyud to ang makatabang to decongest ang traffic diri sa city niya lahos na dayon didto sa Consolacion town through the Cansaga Bridge,” he said.
DPWH engineers told city officials the new bridge and coastal road will run alongside the E.C. Ouano Wharf, connect to Zuellig Road, and link to the Lapu‑Lapu flyover, creating a new route between Barangay Ibo in Lapu‑Lapu and an area near the Cansaga Bay Bridge.
Officials said this additional access route will give motorists an alternative crossing and should improve traffic flows, especially during peak hours.
City officials also noted that the project could eventually support broader connectivity across the tri‑cities of Mandaue, Lapu‑Lapu, and Cebu City, further enhancing mobility in the metropolitan area.
The estimated P76.412‑billion project will be partly funded by a 120‑billion‑yen loan — about P50 billion — through JICA’s official development assistance program. DPWH representatives said the funding aims to strengthen transport links as vehicle volumes continue to rise across Metro Cebu.
The proposal comes amid long‑standing calls for improved crossings over the Mactan Channel.
Lapu‑Lapu City Rep. Junard “Ahong” Chan has welcomed the idea of a fourth bridge to help address traffic problems, but he cautioned that its alignment must actually ease congestion and not make it worse near existing chokepoints such as the Marcelo Fernan Bridge.
“Gipangandoy nato na makabaton ta og ikaupat nga bridge pagsulbad sa atong trapiko,” Chan said, adding concerns about potential bottlenecks if the bridge is too close to existing routes.
The coastal highway component is also central to broader plans for the area. Previously, local leaders said DPWH and JICA agreed to build the coastal road to avoid additional strain on the existing circumferential route once the fourth bridge becomes operational.
Currently, three road bridges span the Mactan Channel linking mainland Cebu and Mactan Island: the Sergio Osmeña Jr. Bridge, commonly known as the Mactan–Mandaue Bridge; the Marcelo Fernan Bridge, often referred to as the second Cebu–Mactan Bridge; and the Cebu–Cordova Link Expressway (CCLEX), which connects Cebu City on the mainland with Cordova on Mactan Island.
CCLEX, which opened in 2022, is the longest of the three and serves as an additional major crossing for motorists.
Meanwhile, Ouano and Barangay Captain Nixon “Jojo” Dizon inaugurated the P80-million five-story Barangay Opao Hall and a primary healthcare center that will converted into a Super Health Center on Wednesday expanding services and bringing healthcare closer to residents.
The building houses the barangay council, Sangguniang Kabataan, GAD and VAWC offices, BCPC, Senior Citizens and PWD services, a satellite congressional office, and conference rooms.
It is the city’s first barangay hall with an elevator.
The Super Health Center includes a pharmacy, X-ray lab, birthing facility, dental clinic, consultation rooms, and a minor operating room. Initially operating as a Primary Care Center, it will seek DOH accreditation to become a full Super Health Center.(MyTVCebu)