A DISQUALIFICATION case has been filed against a Cebu City councilor who is seeking reelection in the upcoming midterm elections.
The petition filed before the Commission on Elections (Comelec)-Cebu City is accusing Councilor Joel Garganera of violating the three-term limit.
The petitioner, Casimero Mahilum, a resident of Barangay Talamban, said Garganera violated the 1987 Constitution when he filed his certificate of candidacy on October 8, 2024 under Partido KUSUG.
Mahilum emphasized in the petition that Garganera had already served three consecutive terms, with his 2022 win marking the end of the allowable period. The petitioner warned that allowing him to run again in the May 12 elections would circumvent the law meant to prevent the excessive accumulation of political power.
He wrote in the petition that the councilor is now seeking a fourth consecutive term, which is prohibited under the Constitution and existing laws. He further claimed that such action, if allowed, would effectively bypass constitutional safeguards.
Garganera said he and his legal team would review the petition upon receipt. He expressed confidence in his eligibility and assured that there was nothing to worry about.
Timeline of Garganeraโs Terms
Before entering city politics, Garganera served as barangay captain of Barangay Tinago. He secured a seat in the Cebu City Council in 2016 under the United Nationalist Alliance, placing eighth in the first district.
In 2019, he ran under PDP-Laban and placed 10th. The disqualification of councilors Sisinio Andales and Alvin Arcilla for violating the term limit rule enabled Garganera to assume a council seat. He officially began his term on July 17, 2019, after his proclamation on July 16.
Comelec disqualified Andales and Arcilla despite their victories, ruling that their prior suspensions in 2016 did not break their consecutive terms since no vacancies or permanent replacements occurred.
Mahilum contested Garganeraโs claim that his assumption in July 2019 was an interruption of office. He argued that Andales' invalid candidacy rendered his supposed election void from the beginning and that Garganeraโs delayed oath-taking did not constitute an interrupted term.
The petition emphasized that only removal from office or a loss of title after assuming the post could be considered an interruption.
Mahilum asserted that Garganera completed a full term from 2019 to 2022.
Garganera ran again in 2022 and won a third consecutive term, placing third with 116,190 votes in the first district.
Legal Debate on Term Limits
The case hinges on the interpretation of what constitutes a full term. Garganera maintained that his 2019 term was incomplete due to his late proclamation, which he considered an interruption.
Mahilum disagreed, arguing that a delay in assuming office does not break the continuity of service. He insisted that Garganera has served three full consecutive terms and is therefore ineligible to run in 2025.
Mahilum requested not only Garganera's disqualification from the upcoming race but also the nullification of his election if he wins.
The petition concluded that the three-term limit rule clearly applies to the councilor's case.
The Comelec has yet to release a decision on the matter.(MyTVCebu)