THE Commission on Higher Education (Ched) has launched an investigation into Cebu Normal University (CNU) after it allegedly shifted to fully online classes without securing approval from its Board of Regents or consulting key stakeholders.
The move may have violated national policies on flexible and on-site learning, the agency said.
In a statement released Tuesday, August 5, and signed a day earlier by CHED Chairperson Shirley C. Agrupis, the commission said the university's abrupt transition was implemented through Memorandum Circular No. 43, series of 2025, issued by CNU President Daniel A. Ariaso Sr. on July 21.
The order placed all Main Campus classes under a 100 percent online setup, bypassing coordination with faculty, students, and the board.
CHED confirmed that Ariaso revoked the circular on August 2 and replaced it with Memorandum Circular No. 45, series of 2025.
The updated memo reinstated the previously approved MC No. 12, which outlined a hybrid learning format, or 5 percent on-site and 25 percent online, for both the Main and Balamban campuses from February 22 to December 31, 2025.
However, CHED flagged that MC No. 45 introduced new provisions that had not been reviewed or approved by the university’s board.
The agency has tasked its regional office in Central Visayas to assess whether the changes violated CMO No. 4, series of 2023, which sets updated guidelines for on-site learning in higher education. A report is due by August 9.
The controversy surrounding the online shift has drawn concern from students, who criticized the university’s lack of transparency and preparation.
A coalition of 18 student organizations said the decision disrupted plans for those who had already relocated to Cebu or secured off-campus housing. Students also raised concerns over weak internet access, limited study spaces at home, and the loss of in-person campus life, particularly for freshmen.
CNU earlier defended its decision, saying it was a necessary adjustment to allow the early start of construction under its P2-billion campus modernization program.
Ariaso said the university received word from contractors that they were ready to begin construction ahead of schedule. He warned that any delays could jeopardize the project's target completion date.
The ongoing construction includes the P947-million Centralized Student Smart Hub and the P998-million ICT Development Program.
The online setup, effective July 22, covered all Main Campus and Integrated Laboratory School classes, with exceptions for the College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences and the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center College of Medicine.
Senator Pia Cayetano has also called on CHED to hold university officials accountable and announced plans to file a Senate resolution for a formal inquiry.
“For a university of CNU’s stature, announcing a complete shift to online learning just before classes begin is unacceptable. This is tantamount to abandoning your students,” the senator said on August 5.
The senator, who has overseen education sector budgeting in the Senate for the past six years, recognized the value of online learning tools but emphasized the importance of accountability and student engagement in decision-making.
She denounced the absence of consultation in the university’s move and said she would file a Senate resolution to uphold proper governance in state-run academic institutions.(MyTVCebu)